As the saying goes, there is no such thing as a free lunch. As we predicted in “How Dodd-Frank Price Controls Poach Peach State Prosperity,” the federal price controls enacted by Congress are having unintended consequences. CNN reports that “Checking accounts have been getting more expensive, as banks hike monthly costs, ATM charges and overdraft fees, according to a survey of more than 100 banks released Monday by bank comparison website MoneyRates.com. … These rising fees come as banks continue to look for ways to recoup revenue lost under the Durbin amendment, which took effect last October and limited the fees banks can charge retailers each time customers swipe their debit cards to make purchases, known as interchange fees.”
- Friday Facts: March 24, 2023
- At the Capitol: Week of March 20
- What happened to CON reform this year?
- Lemonade stand freedom coming to Georgia
- Will Georgia join the growing number of states expanding education options?
- At the Capitol: Week of March 13
- Friday Facts: March 17, 2023
- Legislation aims to combat rising home prices
- New tax reform on the horizon?
- Rural Georgia’s rising population numbers could create unexpected tensions